Saturday, 9 August 2014

If You Don't Imagine, Nothing Ever Happens At All

John Green's- Paper Towns. 

I'm here to tell a story just like John Green did in his elegant yet baffling book 'Paper Towns'.
Evidently my story won't live up to the same standards as Green's because 1) I'm not an author and 2) My spelling is horrific.

Quentin Jacobson having been fixated on the one and only Margo Roth Spiegelman since they were little decides to take his childhood thought of Margo, this being "...she was the most fantastically gorgeous creature that God has ever created" and pursue it further. By 'further' I mean he knew everything about her like they were still childhood best friends. Still, it's sort of sweet, no?

A lot of people say that this book is far fetched and that Green hasn't made it realistic but I disagree. Not all books with the involvement of love need to have a realistic story line to make the reader relate to it; the whole idea of this book in my eyes was to try to get the reader to understand that everyone has problems.

Margo takes it upon herself to re connect with Quentin (later calling him Q) after she has the idea of seeking her revenge one ex-bestfriend at a time including her cheating boyfriend. As well as that she thinks it is a great idea that Q drives her around, helping her seek the actual revenge. Q takes the opportunity, as he realises she is what everyone dreams of but Q later discovers that Margo is actually quite alone and her view on the world is much more complexed than Q ever expected. There is definitely an occurring theme of self doubt and lack of self esteem in both characters but not only that, even though Margo is seen as popular she doesn't necessarily see it that way, “That's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people want to be around someone because they're pretty. It's like picking your breakfast cereals based on colour instead of taste.” 


It seems quite ridiculous for young teens to be driving around in the middle of the night/early morning seeking revenge, plotting their next move but not getting caught. But I easily forgot about that because right from when Margo and Q went on their adventure it was no secret that Margo felt stuck, confronting Q on how “It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world.”  Margo wanted to leave and because I read the blurb of the book I knew she disappeared, so the spy that I am I picked up on the things she was saying, “I'm in love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met.”  Clearly she wanted to leave and maybe she was better off just been left.

Yes, Margo does go missing leaving challenging clues of her whereabouts. Not only did Q and his 3 friends go find Margo but they missed their graduation for it! Again, I do see the unrealistic parts to the book,maybe it's just me been a naive reader or maybe it's me just liking an adventurous book, but the best part of it was when the 'unrealistic' parts took place because what is a book without some imagination?

The most powerful yet emotionally stressful bit was finding Margo after a long drive and she didn't want to come home. But in the beginning she left clues in hope that Q would find her really quickly but he didn't; so she travelled and she stayed away from her home because to her it was a paper town but where she was now wasn't too different from her home, so as she said to Q, "A paper town for a paper girl" But she didn't just see the place she was staying (Agloe) as a paper town she also saw HERSELF as one, " I didn't really look down and think about how everything was made of paper. I looked down and thought about how I was made of paper. I was the flimsy-foldable person, not everyone else. And here's the thing about it. People love the idea of a paper girl. They always have. And the worst thing is that I loved it, too. I cultivated it, you know?" I do know, and I understood what she was saying, which is why I discount people's opinions of how 'unrealistic' the book was because to me the book was more relatable than I could have wished for.

Margo may have not come home. Quentin may have lost his fight. But their town was still paper and their memories were not. 



XO

No comments:

Post a Comment